Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Great Grampa!

Today is Great Grampa Shumway's 92nd Birthday. Great Grampa Shumway is one of Karsyn's favorite people and ours too. We are lucky enough to live under the same roof with him. As most of you know we are living with Adams parents while he is in school, well grampa lives here too and it has been such a neat experience getting to know him and getting to hear the many stories that he tells. He is such an amazing person, he is living with 4 different kinds of cancers and he rarely complains. He was in the hospital recently for a week with complications and is now back home trying to enjoy the time he has here. He is pretty sick and it has been hard to watch the cancers finally start taking over. He has been so tough, a couple of months ago no one would even know that he was suffering from cancer. Karsyn really loves this man, he will come into a room and she just smiles from ear to ear. She sits next to him at dinner time and she is always trying to share her food with him. He loves babies and he gets to see so many around here, since we all have one in the Shumway family. He also suffers from short term memory loss. He can tell you stories of his childhood and stories from when he used to milk cows but anything that happened 5 minutes ago he can't recall. One of his one true loves is scrabble, it is his favorite. There is usually not a day goes by without a game of scrabble around here. The best place to sit is right after grampa because he always sets you up for the triple. One more amazing thing that he can do is spell any word you give him backwords. We would always try and give him really long ones and he would still get them right. Of course I had to be looking at the word to even know if it was right. He writes in his journal everyday, he has books and books of journals. He truly amazes me and I am so thankful that we have got to spend this last year and a half living under the same roof with him, Happy Birthday Great Grampa, may all your wishes come true!


Shumway reunion '06

Karsyn loves his cane!

4 generations living in the same house!

10 comments:

Kim said...

Your so good. love that man. He is such fun to be around. Hereally is unlike almost every older person I know. So jolly and easy going!

Sassy said...

I CAN NOT IMAGINE TURNING 92!!! Wow! This is a pretty lengthy period of time. HOW MARVELOUS!!!! He is seriously one of the cutest little guys I've ever met. My favorite is how this man can spell any word backwards, CORRECTLY!!!
Happy Birthday Grandpa Shumway!!!!!

Cedar said...

How fun to have 4 generations in the same house. Your a trooper Nik! I am so glad you have such a fun scrabble partner!! I hope my brain still works that good at 92!

Laurie said...

Wow!! Four generations under one roof! That's amazing!

stephanie said...

That man is truly one of the greatest grandpas i know...the couple times that i have seen him or talked to him, he has ALWAYS been very KIND and HAPPY...i just hope when i am 92 i can be like him and not a GROUCHY old lady...♪♫ Happy birthday grandpa shumway ♪♫

Jess ♥'s Joel said...

WoW! That is the cutest!

HaYn Mama said...

What a legacy Great Grandpa is living! He seems like a fun man who is a true example to his posterity.

Bless your heart Nikki for living with your in-laws for some people that's near to impossible.

Kenyon said...

He is so cute. Having close relationships w/ Great grandparents is such a blessing.

Maren said...

That is sooo special. I got to spend time with my grandma as I was the only one who lived in AZ, a few years back. I was pregnant and had a 2 year old and trying to help my grandma who was an extremely independant person and my grandpa who didn't want to be a burden to anyone. Those were the hardest times & the best times. I'm so glad you get to live with your grandpa even if it's just for awhile... Karstyn is a lucky girl.

3 Men & a Lady said...

What a cute man! Wow- 92 years! That is very incredible! Cancer is no fun. What a wonderful person to have FOUR different types and rarely complain. I hope I can have a portion of that type of attitude.